03 January 2014

Most Anticipated of 2014


Counting down my most anticipated superhero and comic book shows of 2014. I should note, there are also a number of TV shows in the works like DC's Hourman and a slew of Marvel characters (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage ) for Netflix leading up to a Defenders miniseries. I have not included them on the list because they are still in pre-production mode, though surely I hope they see the light of day. I am also really looking forward to the Batman Beyond and Batman: Black and White DC shorts but have no idea if they will really be out this year or not. Anyways, away we go.




12. The Lego Movie -  February 7

To be fair, The Lego movie is not at all a superhero movie. It does look hilarious, and I am looking forward to taking the kids to see it, but if I am ranking it only on how much I am looking forward to seeing Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in it, not too much. Sad also that THIS will be Wondy's big screen debut.



11. Birdman

Intrigued? Yes. Excited, not yet. The idea of Michael Keaton playing an aged superhero is perhaps the closest thing we will get to him starring in a live action Dark Knight Returns. It may also be the closest we get to alive action Hawkman, which is a shame.




10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - August 8

There is a good chance this will be a turd. Then again, it could be amazing. I just really do not have much to go on at this point aside from pics of April O'Neil. Probably a good idea they swapped out the coverall for a yellow jacket. Hopefully we see some turtles soon. 



9. Justice League: War - February 4

I am looking forward to this one more and more as its release approaches even though its my least anticipated of this year's DC animated film offerings. The source material was a pretty by the numbers story, but some you can seldom go wrong with Darkseid. 


8. Son of Batman - Summer

Just in time (well, maybe a little late) to cash in on Damian's death in comics comes the character's first full scale onscreen debut (he did appear in the episode The Knights of Tomorrow! of Brave and the Bold, sort of). Like War, the source material for this would not have been my first choice, but it is nice to see some of the current story lines being adapted. Still, the animated Batman movies seldom disappoint. 



7. Flash- Fall

Having already made his debut on Arrow, the new Barry Allen Flash series is pretty much a sure thing. I enjoyed his two episode's on Arrow and am looking forward to the series and an expanded look at the world of DC on TV.

6. Big Hero 6 - November 7

2014's forgotten Marvel movie? Disney has been on a roll with its animated features and that's good news for this movie.  I just can't wait to see a little more to get a sense for the look and feel of this movie and its characters.


5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - May 2

I should be a lot more excited for this than I am, but it scares me that it may be a tad overstuffed with Gobby, Rhino, and Electro, along with possibly Black Cat and more. I am certainly looking forward to seeing The Amazing Spider-Man forge its own storyline, but a little nervous at the same time.



4. Batman: Assault on Arkham - Fall

Even with very little to go on, I am really looking forward to this animated take on the world of the Arkham Assylum video games. Can't wait to see more.



3. Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1

Now were are talking. Having my dreams of a Green Lantern frnachise shattered, this is my next best hope for a modern space opera. Looks quirky and amazing. Hope audiences embrace it. 


2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - April 4

Captain America: The First Avenger is my favorite of the Marvel Cinematic Universe so far so of course I am excited for the follow-up and I think the Winter Soldier is a perfect story for the big screen. This may be very different than the first, but I hope it keeps this franchise going strong. Also, I am keeping my fingers crossed for some WWII flashbacks.


1. X-Men: Days of Future Past - May 23

This is the big one. Fox is all in on revitalizing the X-Men franchise.  First Class was great and seeing that cast tied into the original trilogy is all a fan could hope for. Big hopes for this one especially after an amazing first trailer. 
 
And there you have it. Overall, a pretty solid list with no real sure fire stinkers in the mix (a la 2013's Hulk and Iron Man animated movie). Also, with a decent spread throughout the year, 2014 looks to be another good one for superhero fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment