13 May 2009

X-Men (2000) - Film Capsule



Heroes: The X-Men core team includes Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, and Professor X with new additions Wolverine and Rogue. Also seens include Ice-Man, Jubilee, Shadowcat, and Pyro.

Villains: The Brotherhood of Mutants include Magneto, Mystique, Toad, and Sabretooth.

Diabolical Scheme: Magneto wants to turn all of the world leaders into mutants.

Coolest Moment(s): The melting of Senator Kelly, Wolverine's fight scenes, Magneto vs the police.

Worst Moment: Finding out what happens when a toad is struck by lightning.

Comic Book Logic: If Magneto has a magical thought proof hat, why not equip his whole team with them?

Opening Weekend: $54,471,475

Total Domestic Box Office: $157,299,717

Adjusted Domestic Total: $210,122,071

Review in 50 Words or Less: Good intro to the X-Men universe that could have used a couple more core team members. Establishes a mighty nemesis in Magneto. Provides a good mix of action and humor and a nice Wolverine / Cyclops rivalry. A fair stand alone, but a better set up for the next movie.

Availability: X-Men on DVD


1 comment:

  1. The melting of Senator Kelly made me physically nauseas the first time I saw it, which was probably the filmmaker’s idea, certainly left an impression on me either way. I can watch appendages and gore flying all day long but that was a bit too unnatural for me to stomach. I suppose I need some grounding in reality for my physical injuries and bloody deaths.

    ReplyDelete