02 May 2011

Quest for the 2011 Superhero Box Office Crown - Bold Predictions

Its May! The summer movie season in upon us beginning this Friday May 6th with the opening of Thor. X-Men: First Class opens in a month on June 3rd followed in just two more weeks by Green Lantern on June 17th. Although the Transformers aren't strictly superheroes, I have included them here. Transformers: Dark of the Moon opens in less than two months on July 1st. Captain America will close out the season on July 22nd.

Its time to lock in my predictions for the domestic box office earnings of these films which I will be updating throughout the summer.

Thor - $240

Not as accessible as Iron Man, but pretty much two full weeks without major competition should pay big dividends. With nearly $100 million in the bank already from the International market, Thor looks to do just fine.

X-Men: First Class - $175

I am thinking audiences may be X-Mened out. This movie does look pretty good, but with an all new cast and no Wolverine, people may be confused.

Green Lantern - $275

This is the one I am really pulling for. Assuming this movie is good, a sequel has potential to be even more incredible. So, my outlook is hopeful and biased. Unfortunately, GL is parked in the middle of the most summer competition and so it better make its green quickly.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - $350

Surely the quality of Transformers 2 will have an impact, but the trailer for this is pretty ridiculous, in a good way. The 4th of July has also been friendly to the disguised robots and will probably be again.

Captain America: The First Avenger - $165

I love the guy, I really do, but of the five movies listed here, this one gets me the least excited. Partly, that's because I really don't have much to go on at this point. By the end of July, geeks are going to be broke so Captain America will have to settle for sloppy seconds.

To recap, even if my dollars are off, I expect the final order to be:
Transformers for the win
Green Lantern to place
Thor to show
X-Men to survive
Captain America to lick his wounds

No comments:

Post a Comment